Go Abroad

Work abroad

You may be able to undertake a research or study placement, internship, or other type of work placement abroad as part of your University of Edinburgh degree programme.

Placements may be paid or voluntary and are normally a credit- bearing component of your degree programme.  Placements must be approved by your School and normally take place during the academic year. 

Whether you plan to work for a private company, volunteer, or do research abroad, your placement should help you learn new skills to develop your academic and professional prospects.  

You should also ensure that you check your proposed host country's visa requirements and/or your right to work in the host country in advance of committing to a placement.

The following Schools offer opportunities to undertake a placement as part of one or more of their degree programmes:

  • Literatures, Languages and Cultures 
  • Architecture
  • Chemistry
  • Engineering

Your School will be able to advise whether you can undertake a placement abroad as part of your degree programme. 

Once your placement is approved by your School, a member of the Study and Work Away team will contact you to request further details of your placement, and advise on our risk assessment process. 

The School of Social and Political Science also offers students on selected MSc programmes the opportunity to complete a placement-based dissertation. Further information on this can be found below.

Taught MSc Placement-Based Dissertations | School of Social and Political Science

If you are eligible for any funding, SWAY will also advise on the options and application process.  If you have any questions, please contact swayplacements@jais-design.com

Related links

Summer activities

Find a placement